Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire
Kaya Korona #53, Kralendijk
Bonaire, Dutch Caribbean
Office: +599 717 2225
Bräutigam, A. and K. L. Eckert. 2006. Turning the Tide: Exploitation, Trade and Management of Marine Turtles in the Lesser Antilles, Central America, Colombia and Venezuela. TRAFFIC International, Cambridge, UK.
English translation of (Verordening Marien Milieu A.B 1991 Nr.8)
Marine Environment Ordinance
1. It is prohibited to disturb or destroy sea turtle nests or to remove eggs from the nests; it is prohibited to be in possession of, to have for sale or delivery, to offer for sale, to sell, to buy, to trade in, to donate or to transport eggs of sea turtles.
2. It is prohibited to kill, catch or be in possession of sea turtles.
3. It is prohibited to offer for sale, sell, buy, trade in, donate, or offer as a dish in any way in public, sea turtles, sea turtle meat or other products of sea turtles.
4. Sea turtles are understood to comprise the following species: Chelonia mydas (Tortuga blanku), Caretta caretta (Kawama), Eretmochelys imbricata (Karet), Dermochelys coriacea (Drikil), and Lepidochelys kempi.
5. The prohibition as meant in paragraph 2 can be suspended for periods of up to one year (renewable as necessary), after a hearing by the Marine Environment Commission and provided that the condition of the sea turtle population permits such a measure. This action would be administered through an Executive Council decree, which would provide regulations for the catch of sea turtles, the species, the season, quota, and minimum and maximum sizes.
The penalty for violation of the new law in Bonaire is a maximum of NAf. 5000 and/or one month in jail; relevant equipment (spear gun, car, boat) can be confiscated.
Debrot, A. O., N. Esteban, R. Le Scao, A. Caballero, and P. C. Hoetjes. 2005. New sea turtle nesting records for the Netherlands Antilles provide impetus to conservation action. Caribbean Journal of Science. 41(2):334-339.
Fish, M.R., Côté, I.M., Horrocks, J.A, Mulligan, B., Watkinson, A.R. and A.P. Jones. 2008. Construction setback regulations and sea-level rise: mitigating sea turtle nesting beach loss. Ocean and Coastal Management 51:330-341.
Van Eijck (1996), Progress for Sea Turtles: Sea Turtle Club Bonaire, Marine Turtle Newsletter 75
Hoetjes, P. 2006. Netherlands Antilles Second Annual Report Form. Inter-American Convention for the Protection and Conservation of Sea Turtles.
Nava, M., A. Uhr, and R. van Dam. 2006. Progress Report for 2005. Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire.
Nava, M., A. Uhr, and R. van Dam. 2007. Progress Report for 2006. Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire.
Nava, M., A. Uhr, and R. van Dam. 2008. Progress Report for 2007. Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire.
Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire: Project Prospectus, 2007 to 2009
Sybesma, Jeffrey. 1992. WIDECAST Sea Turtle Recovery Action Plan for the Netherlands Antilles (Karen L. Eckert, Editor). CEP Technical Report No. 11 UNEP Caribbean Environment Programme, Kingston, Jamaica. 63
van Buurt, G. (1984). National Report for the Netherlands Antilles. Pp. 329–336. In: P. Bacon et al. (Eds). Proceedings of the First Western Atlantic Turtle Symposium, San José, Costa Rica, July 1983, III, Appendix 7. University of Miami Press.